Thursday, August 23, 2012

new new york #1: oatmeals

New York is so big. I know there are at least eighty billion things to do on any given day, and yet I always find myself revolving around the same eight-ten places doing the same eight-ten things. I don't really venture out and visit new neighborhoods or try new restaurants. I shop at the same places, eat my takeout from the same places, drink at the same places. This is dull. This is boring. This isn't what New York is for.

So each week I'm going to try something new. A new store, new commute, new cocktail at a new bar I've never been to. I'm going to break up my rhythm a little bit and see if I can really take advantage of being in the city. It'll be a new New York for me.

My first is a little bit of a cheat. My friend William told me about this place last week, and I've already been twice now. But it was new to me as of last week and it's so frigging cute, I just want to write about it.

Oatmeals is a coffee shop in the west village that specializes in oat-based products. So there's an oatmeal bar with about forty different toppings, and there are oatmeal cookies, and oatmeal sweet sticky if-I-keep-eating-these-I'll-be-fat-and-no-one-will-ever-love-me cinnamon buns, and oatmeal cakes, and you get the point. And there's plenty of non-oaty stuff, too, but the menu's focus is the oat and trying to let people see the potential nutrition benefits of incorporating it into your diet. I'm sold. And even though I'm trying not to eat out so much, and I am a little dubious about the health benefits of oats rolled in butter, sugar, and cinnamon, I would totally go there every day if I could.

And it's also super cute and cozily decorated, I wish it were my apartment.
Photo from Oatmeals

Oatmeals
120 West 3rd Street
(between Macdougal and 6th Ave)
oatmealsny.com

No comments:

Post a Comment