Wednesday, January 2, 2013

new new york #3: babycakes bakery


Photos found here and here

It's been over a month since I've had a bagel. I haven't tasted a brownie in three weeks. Excepting that one Patron Silver soggy night, no pasta has passed my lips in twenty days. I decided to give up gluten after realizing that it might be aggravating my skin and after noticing that my diet was entirely comprised of baked goods, bread covered in butter, and pasta. I was a vegetarian who ate maybe one vegetable a week and I had the acne of a teenager to prove it.
Giving up wheat hasn't been too difficult (I kind of feel like I did when I stopped eating meat-- a little sad, a little worried, but mostly resolved), but my heart does ache for sweets. I really love baked goods and I don't like to imagine my life without a cookie. So I made my way over to Babycake's-- a gluten-free, vegan bakery on the lower east side.
It's a winner. I got a slice of chocolate chip pumpkin bread and it wasn't cardboard-dry as I imagined most fake flour, fake eggs, fake milk pastries to be. I'm happy.

Babycakes
248 Broome Street
www.babycakesnyc.com

1 comment:

  1. Yum. Those look delicious. are these your photos? I made my first vegan cookies for our holiday party because Kim and some other people who eat vegan were coming over. They weren't gluten free but still I was intimidated. They turned out really well. Did you know that applesauce works like eggs?! amazing. They were vermont maple walnut cookies with maple frosting made just from powdered sugar and earth balance.

    ReplyDelete